Thursday, 30 April 2009
Ok this is the first cast of the blade out of the new mould. I added the cross guard so you can see the overall look. It is almost there but the foam is a little heavy at the second. I think it is the age of the foam as it has a 6 month shelf life and I have had this kit for 6 years. I am building a heat box to warm up the moulds and the foam. I hope that will help. The blade is 400 grams and I want to get it down to 300. To be fair I am most likely being overly worried, but I dont want anyone getting knocked out by a weapon that is to heavy.
Tuesday, 28 April 2009
I have also got to get 3 longswords done in the next couple of weeks, before the next Fools and Heroes. So I have dug this mould out. It was from the last sword I made 6 or so years ago. I never used it after that. I am revamping it with a beautiful new blade which I will post as soon as the mould is done. These are cast in a low density flexible poly-urathane that is now used in the film industry instead of foam latex. It has slightly less density than plastizote ( what most larp weapons are made from ) but higher elastisaty, so it is less likely to rip.